October is Emotional Wellness Month to remind us to disconnect and take time for our brain health. If you are exploring options to enhance your emotional wellness, there are many methods available. Can meditation help with anxiety and promote emotional wellness? Meditation is one of the best methods to control anxiety and stress in daily life. In addition, meditation offers many benefits for better health in general.
What is Meditation?
Meditation is the act of engaging in a mental exercise with the concentration on breathing and repetition of a mantra for a heightened level of spiritual awareness. However, there are different types of meditation. Meditation techniques are available as a holistic therapy option if you are experiencing anxiety or high-stress levels, meditation techniques are available as a holistic treatment option. How can meditation help with anxiety? Review the following methods to understand the process.
Types of Meditation Techniques
Holistic methodologies answer the question, how can meditation help with anxiety? Once the concepts of meditation are understood and practiced, meditation is free and available to utilize at any time. In addition, meditation builds confidence and stronger self-esteem. Organization, focus, and positive coping methods improve with regular meditation practice.
With roots in Buddhist teachings, mindfulness meditation uses breathing exercises, the focus of attention, and guided imagery. Mindfulness meditation allows the self to remain calm and let go of the need to allow outside influences to control your thoughts. Are you wondering how can meditation help with anxiety when in public? Finally, feel the full benefits of mindfulness meditation by practicing from one minute to one hour at any time and place.
Body scan meditation
How can meditation help with anxiety? Scanning your body for tension, stress, or anxiety can initiate body scan meditation which releases the negativity. For example, an upset stomach, shoulder tensions, or aching joints respond by focusing on the body part involved to connect with the feelings you are experiencing from the discomfort. In short, there is a deep connection between body and mind.
In addition, studies have found that body scan meditation practiced over a few months can reduce the stress hormone cortisol. Body scan meditation involves noticing how the body feels. Find discomfort or pain, focus on the body parts, and accept there is discomfort. Accept the feelings without judgment or reaction. Deep breathing can help with tension or pain. Move throughout the body to recognize, accept, and breathe to release discomfort.
Also referred to as metta, loving-kindness mediation is a type of Buddhist meditation teaches the cultivation of unconditional kindness to yourself and others. The goal is to manage symptoms that occur through interpersonal conflict and feelings of guilt and shame. Mindful repetition of positive emotional phrases causes positive change within. If you are wondering, can meditation help with anxiety? The answer is an absolute yes.
Can Meditation Help with Anxiety?
How can meditation help with anxiety, depression, and other mental health disorders? First, meditation practice teaches us to focus on the present moment instead of possibilities in the future or past negativity. Meditation has proven effective for high-stress levels as well as mental illnesses. Furthermore, meditation produces an overall sense of well-being. The following mental health disorders can be positively affected by meditating.
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Social anxiety
- Separation anxiety disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
The Benefits of Meditation for Anxiety
Several studies have found the answer to the question, how can meditation help with anxiety? Not only did symptoms from anxiety, tension, and depression decrease, but noted changes in brain structure from long-term meditation practice. In addition, these changes increased emotion regulation. Increase self-awareness and sense of well-being by simply concentrating on breathing techniques.
Moreover, the following benefits from meditation can include:
- Reduces stress: Inflammation in the body causing pain or discomfort can result from too much stress hormone. Meditation can decrease those hormones. Unfortunately, stress can also disrupt sleeping habits, leading to additional symptoms of anxiety and depression.
- Helps to manage anxiety symptoms: When anxiety symptoms begin, simple deep breathing techniques can relax and release that tension. Moving to meditation techniques after controlling breathing can sharpen focus and enhance a feeling of calm.
- Increases self-esteem and self-confidence: Meditation can induce a positive and healthy outlook on life. Regular meditation sessions promote a better sense of self. In short, those who practice meditation regularly have a positive mindset, leaving negative possibilities behind.
- Can improve memory and retention: Meditation techniques improve focus on tasks and strengthen memory.
- Promotes better sleeping habits: Insomnia can be a symptom of anxiety disorder. Meditation promotes better sleeping habits and induces deeper sleep when practiced before bedtime. And better sleep habits are good for the body and the mind.
Find Holistic Therapies in Tennessee
Contact Detox West for assistance in using holistic meditation therapy in a treatment plan for addiction, anxiety, and depression. Our experienced professionals use traditional therapies and holistic possibilities following detox. Treat your anxiety, depression, or other mental health issues that may accompany a substance abuse disorder through our proven programs that include meditation. Detox West has two locations for your convenience. Contact us by phone or email for help.